Re: Automatic or Uniform allocation

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:59:26 -0800

Johnathan,
 Very interesting article. I especially like the parts where it is not our fault it is designed that way. I agree that with proper thought and trial, a lot of perceived performance issues can be eliminated or minimized.
I could really use the compress option, I guess that I will have to upgrade to 9i. Darn, I only have 1 year under my belt on 8i and already 10g is in the pipe.
Thanks for the article.
Ron

>>> jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk 01/22/2004 11:54:26 AM >>>

I think

    http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/08_lmt.doc is pretty good, but I'm biased.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 Jan 29th 2004 UKOUG Unix SIG - v$ and x$  March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof  March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial  April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html ____UK___February

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> Brad - I agree with Ron. I think it is critical to read "How to quit
> defragmenting . . ." before making the change to ensure you clearly
> understand the concepts and receive the benefits. If someone on the
list
> knows of a more recent paper, please post it.
>
> With uniform extents, you eliminate tablespace fragmentation, in
addition

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author: Ron Rogers