RE: full recovery

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:34:24 -0800

I hadn't noticed the previous messages in this thread and haven't read Robert Freeman's book yet.
But I don't think that an ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE would mean that you would lose RMAN Recovery Information from the *current* *online* controlfile.
The Trace generated would only allow you to create a *new* controlfile and that, obviously, would not have any RMAN records in it. What your backups should include are _binary_ backups of the controlfile, not Trace file backups. You can then use the _binary_ backup to perform a restore/recovery.
{A Trace file backup additionally is good as it still allows you to capture the database structure}
Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional http://hkchital.tripod.com {last updated 05-Jan-04}

Author: Hemant K Chitale