Defragmenting a RAID 5 volume?

From: <Rhojel_Echano_at_sgs.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:04:26 -0800

Hello people,

We recently experienced a hang in our database server, WIN2k Advanced server with raid 5 for Oracle 817 database files.
Examining the perf logs showed that Event 2022 caused the hang:
Event ID: 2022
Source: Srv

After I examined the alert log, I saw an object trying to extend but fails because the DBF ran out of space. This happened on the time/instance that the server started to stop responding. The DBF is supposed to extend because it is configured to AUTOEXTEND. The available disk space isn't also supposed to constrain the DBF's extension of 64MB, free space of 9+ GB could still accomodate this, obviously. More importantly, this can happen without crashing the server.

According to Microsoft's website (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245077), possible resolutions are to defragment the disk or allocate more disk space. Disk space is not much of an issue because the volume still has 9+ GB.  My question is, can a RAID 5 volume be defragmented? Is it sane, technically? The volume is 130GB in size...

Best regards,
Rhojel
  INET: Rhojel_Echano_at_sgs.com