Re: Re: Re[2]: Oracle vs Mysql

From: KENNETH JANUSZ <kjanusz_at_att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:14:26 -0800

The old IBM System3 machines used 120 col. punch cards. And initially they had no HD's. Everything was done with cards and a reader/sorter. To compile a program you took the code you wrote, punched it into cards and then put it behind a stack of cards that was the compiler. The machine read the cards and generated another pile cards that was the compiled code. No matter how big the code you were compiling it took about 30 minutes to do a compile. All data was stored on cards - lots and lots of cards.

Ken

> [snip]
> > 120 col. punch cards?
>
> You had a high-density model. Mine only had 80 cols, of which 72 were
usable for my goto-happy Fortran statements.

Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
  INET: kjanusz_at_att.net