Re: tnsnames.ora not working ?

From: Reuben D. Budiardja <techlist_at_voyager.phys.utk.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:14:26 -0800

Hello,

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 11:01 am, Mercadante, Thomas F wrote:
> Reuben,
>
> If the normal connection is throwing an error, then it stands to reason
> that the seond one would not connect either. You need to get a connection
> working first before you try something else.

I can confirm that this:
$> sqlplus
Enter user-name:
developer@(description=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=hostname)(PORT = 1521))(CONNECT_DATA =(SERVICE_NAME = dev_db)))

work just fine. That why I'm confused why using tnsnames.ora by putting that entry in tnsnames.ora does not work. The entry is given to me by the DBA of the server I'm trying to connect to.

> The Oracle error you are getting is complaining about the service_name
> entry. Is this the same value for the database that you are trying to
> connect to?

I'm not sure what you meant, but I suppose yes. The DBA gave me those entry that I copy-paste in my previous message.

> Is the database advertising itself as a service of dev_db?
As far as I know, yes.

I'm thinking the problem is more in the client side (me) rather than the server side. Am I correct ?

> Fix this first and get the connection to work via the normal method. And
> then you can try the other method.

What do you mean by "normal method"? Is there a fundamental difference or assumption that I made that may not be true when I'm making connection by passing all the information in the user-name field and by using service name (like developer_at_dev_db) that is defined in tnsnames.ora?

> And, finally, why in the world do you want to do this?

ummm, do what? What I want is to define that entry in tnsnames.ora so when I want to connect I can just type developer_at_dev_db as my username, rather than using the long description.

Thanks for any help.
RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja