RE: SLA/metrics for RFP for programming services

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:34:27 -0800

At 11:04 AM 1/18/2004, Thomas Jeff wrote:
Tim,

Thanks for the reply.   We are thinking more along the lines of metrics pertaining
to identifying the required efficiency of the outsourced ETL task, e.g. time, resource
utilization,throughput, etc, in essence some desired baseline resource profile.

We are new to writing up RFPs at this level of granularity with respect to services, so
if this all rather unreasonable, in yours (or anyone's) opinion, I'd like to know.

So long as you have the ability to reasonably estimate things like LIO's for a task, I don't see this as at all unreasonable.  I'd certainly rather have a quantifiable performance metric to hit than deal with the vagueness of "fast enough".  On the other hand, if you don't have a good basis on which to estimate the number of LIO's this ETL process would take if it is well-written, you may be setting an unreasonably high or unreasonably low bar.

Since you're writing this RFP at a more granular level than you're accustomed to, I would suggest starting with metrics that are easier to understand and predict but tend to be less accurate.  Wall clock time is readily understood, easy to verify, and reasonably easy to estimate.  If I have other ETL processes that can load 10 million rows per hour from a file into a particular table structure and this ETL process will have a similar amount of data, a similar validation process, and a similar table structure, you can probably infer that 10 million rows per hour is a reasonable metric.  If there are other things running at the same time, you'd have to qualify the requirement with the amount of CPU, RAM, I/O, etc that will be available to this new ETL process.

Justin Cave

  It's
not just a matter of defining that the deliverables are to be completed during X number of
days for $ cost, but we are thinking that we need to identify some metrics that would help
us to specify some acceptable performance criteria, against which we would monitor when
performing some form of acceptance testing.    It does us no good if the contracted ETL
task capitalizes the box (like the runaway PL/SQL program mentioned by Ryan) and takes
3 days to complete.

Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net