RE: Anyone using IBM's Flashcopy for hotbacks?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:29:44 -0800

Rich,

As I had indicated in a previous post on a similar topic, you will need to minimize writes to the SAN during a mirror split during FlashCopy (in IBM, BCV in EMC and ShadowImage in Hitachi). In my limited understanding, once the command to split is received by the SAN, it has to make sure that the write cache is *completely* written to disk. Taking on Tim G's excellent analogy of likening a SAN disk cache to a water tank with an inlet at one end and an outlet on the other, and the requirement of all writes to be written to disk during split, it becomes evident that the SAN has to very quickly bleed off the write cache as well as freeze or somehow delay writes during this time. An ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND might help during the split. I have seen a 'runaway' Hash join very quickly fill up TEMP using direct writes and considerably delay splits. I really don't see any *read* related problems though at the time of split...

YMMV!
John Kanagaraj
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com