Re: Backups in a DW Environment

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:24:26 -0800

Let me explain, because I have a little bit of experience with it. a) BCV's are replicated disks which are synchronized using TimeFinder.

    and then separated from the source. The phrase "splitting BCV's" means     producing an exact disk copy of the original disks, similarly to what dd can     do. It's an ideal way to make a copy of an instance. Last time I checked,     BCV's weren't supported by RMAN (it may have changed now), so the     tablespaces had to be put into backup mode or (8i and after) the database     had to be suspended (very litle known trick is "ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND",     which abruptly ceases all the I/O in the database, without shutting it down). b) RMAN is an oracle tool which works in conjunction with Legato (EMC), NetBackup(Veritas),

    Tivoli, Alexandria or SyncSort backups. RMAN doesn't know how to write to tape and needs

     a 3rd party backup to do so. The part  that Veritas, Legato or IBM will charge you for is
     called libobk.so and is an interface which enables RMAN to work with their particular tool.
     RMAN is a very good tool which can do many things in a very easy way and without
    generating a TB of redo archives for the duration of hot backup mode. Robert Freeman's     book is definitely the best source for anything RMAN around.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net