RE: Quest....

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:49:27 -0800

I agree. Spotlight and SQL Navigator interfaces are very straightforward. While you still have to do the analysis and understand the database architecture it makes it much easier to gather all the necessary information so that you can concentrate on resolving the issue and not on gathering the information. Also, for the more junior DBA's it provides some useful starting point and help to point that person in the right direction. The solutions suggested may not be appropriate all the time. However,

I have found Spotlight straightforward to use for both the Oracle and SQL Server environments. It allows me basically to pinpoint locking issues and performance issues and then quickly get to the exact SQL statement involved. From there I need to resolve the issue - suggest rewrite of SQL which I still need to understand the CBO for. However, the research is much much quicker.

SQL Navigator offers team coding library functions, standard formats for stored procedures and a straightforward interface for both PL/SQL and SQL - from writing stored procedures to verifying and creating database structures.

Now, I have just started looking into OEM v 9i and have noted that the interface is better in this last release and that it has some advantages Spotlight doesn't.

Hate to say it but I use SQL Nav. for creating PL/SQL and some basic SQL testing. I use Spotlight for real-time performance issues - as a starting point I use OEM for storage, security, schema management I use the various Oracle traces for more in-depth tuning.

Each of the above has its advantages and do something better than the others. I want to be able to have one tool - however, I have found that these tools do something better than others.

In the SQL Server land I use QE for creating SQL and stored procedures I use profiler that comes with EM for tracing specific SQL and getting explain plans I use Spotlight for general overall real-time performance analysis of what is happening right now on my system.

Of course, I still have my own little bag of scripts......Yikes!

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us
  INET: Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jan 08 2004 - 10:49:27 CST