RE: Re[1]: OCP question from Boson practice tests

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:34:25 -0800

Hi all

I have a problem with a lot of the commentary on the OCP that I have read here and elsewhere, especially that which focusses on specific questions and the, ahem, 'product features' associated with them. My problem is this. To me the OCP, or rather the OU courses and the associated revision (= what the hell did I do 2 months ago I've got a test now) work necessary to pass the OCP were particularly helpful in illuminating areas in which I was, now what is the expression - ah yes, brain-dead.

MTS and connection pooling for example, wonderful stuff, what a good idea. Don't use it myself, don't know how it works and keep getting the acronym confused with Microsoft Transaction Server. Oh what you mean maybe I should at least recognize the term and the idea behind it. Oh very well then.

My guess would be that one could pass the exam just by working with Oracle for a couple of years and comparing that to some practice questions, one wouldn't do especially well but 60% or so will pass you. Doing the courses, especially if you get one of those educators who insist on knowing how the thing actually works as well as what the course notes say will be an even better investment.

Of course criticism of the OCP based on the fact that it values version specific syntax over DBA/Developer principles is right on the money IMO.

Niall

Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 16:34:25 CST