Re: table reorganizations

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:29:26 -0800

First, with things like ASSM you no longer have to worry about that. Second, why would you want to reorganize tables? Just because some artificially determined number is not what your consultant says it should be? Do you have any chained rows? Did you analyze table for chained rows? What particular problem rears its ugly head if the tables are not re-organized? Just keep your buffer cache hit ratio (BCHR) close to 100 and you're fine (sorry folks, I couldn't resist). The first rule of tuning is "if it ain't broken it doesn't need fixing". Do you have any problems, like application working unacceptably slow or you just want to do the right thing and reorganize some tables? One of the things that my favorite DBA authors (Cary Millsap, Jonathan Lewis, Marlene T., Rachel Carmichael and Gaja V., Chris Lawson and Tom Kyte ) say is that one should tune the applications, not the instance parameters. Tables that have 100 blocks more then some consultant think they should, are not candidates for a reorg. I've had empty tables which have had several gigabytes of allocated space and were completely empty, in preparation of a data load. Then the tapes arrived, load was done in minutes. Your consultant would have shrunk my carefully allocated tables and thus cause load to go on for hours because of the dynamic space management. Can't you do us all a favor and just shoot that consultant? Oh yes, and get yourself a real DBA, or you can always contract hotsos (http://www.hotsos.com). They will tune your system so fast that the sparks will be flying. Ask them to fix your BCHR.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com