FW: SAP Tablespace Conventions (WAS: Convert to LMTs)

From: Hand, Michael T <HANDM_at_polaroid.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:14:40 -0800

Jared,
SAP does use default tablespace names as you have stated, but will allow you to move them to alternate locations and recommends it under certain conditions. We separated 10 or 12 of the tables that we thought would grow the fastest into dedicated tablespaces when we originally installed R/3 40B several years ago and have added to that number over time. SAPDBA has options to perform a move between tablespaces via EXP/IMP or CTAS.

As far as the impact on upgrades goes, we are migrating to SAP Enterprise 4.7 and I have found minimal impact from the nondefault layout. Only 1 or 2 tables reverted to their default tablespaces and no errors for tables that were elsewhere.

(Nitty-gritty details if you want to read on)

Now creating new tablespaces via SAPDBA (with the PSAP prefix) is recommended as it modifies the SAP internal data dictionary to include them. Also, the default tablespace can be changed by adding userdefined  data classes associated with the new tablespaces, then assigning them to the table/s in question via SE11 and the Repair/ Correction&Transport mechanism. We created our own data classes but never assigned them, leaving the original data classes in place. Figured it would be less of a problem than keeping track of 100 or so Repair/Transports. The discrepancy is only evident in the SE14 transaction under Storage parameters between the actual values in the database (DBS) and expected/calculated values (CMP).

Hope this isn't more than you wanted or needed ;)

Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp.

Author: Hand, Michael T
  INET: HANDM_at_polaroid.com