RE: data warehouse vs regular database??

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:54:27 -0800

Janet,

        A data warehouse is a database. Now if the "data warehouse" has all of the data structures of the OLTP database and people are using those tables like one would expect, then your just using the same instance for both purposes, which is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. A data warehouse is characterized by several large (both in width and depth) tables with somewhat demoralized and static data and/or a number of star schemas that have very deep fact tables.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Janet Linsy
  INET: janetlinsy_at_yahoo.com

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: DGoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 11:54:27 CST