RE: Inactive Sessions/Java

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:54:27 -0800

Nuala

   I think many of us are struggling to understand the new Web/Internet/Java world. Many times the Java program is hosted by an application server. I don't think that is essential though. There are many different application servers, so you might ask around. Popular ones are Oracle9i AS, Weblogic, Tomcat. Most application servers perform a connection pooling function. If the connection pooling is set incorrectly, that can cause problems in Oracle like running out of processes.

   If you don't have an application server, in Oracle you can configure MTS to handle huge numbers of connections. Essentially this is Oracle's way of performing connection pooling.

   Another feature is Oracle Connection Manager's connection concentration feature, but I'm not sure if that will work, depending on whether your application is using the Oracle Thin Client or thick client. And that may be something you should learn about this application.

   Another aspect of your issue might be setting a time limit in sqlnet for inactive sessions. I think the parameter is SQLNET_TIMEOUT, but I have not used this myself.

Author: Nuala Cullen
  INET: ncullen_at_catlogic.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM