SHMAX SHMALL Kernel Parms

From: hp <hp_at_lechateau.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:44:32 -0800

I'm a little bit confused. And was hoping someone could help me understand this.

I'm trying to fix all of Kernel parameters on my Redhat Linux Advanced Server for 9.2

So I all the installation docs and white papers I came across They All say the Same thing, and everything makes sense except for 1 thing

I should set my SHMAX to 2147483648		(2 Gigs)
And I should set SHMALL to 2097152		(2 Megs)

And the defintion for these 2 are

SHMMAX: This parameter sets the largest shared memory segment size allowed by the kernel, in bytes.

SHMALL: This parameter sets the total amount of shared memory that can be used at one time on the system, in bytes.

So shouldn't my SHMALL be set to the maximum amount of memory in my system that I want to allocate to to Shared Memory? Or at least as big as SHMMAX.

Confused
David Hill
DBA

Author: hp
  INET: hp_at_lechateau.ca

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Aug 28 2003 - 16:44:32 CDT