Re: oracle sessions from term server

From: nigel cemm <n.cemm_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:15:27 -0800

Hello,

We have a similar situation with our Win2K terminal server-based sessions and our Win2K database server (8.1.7.4.1) although we have not introduced the use of SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME in this case.

As detailed in Metalink Doc ID 151972.1 (Dead Connection Detection (DCD) Explained), there are limitations in a Windows environment. These limitations are not restircted to a Windows-only environment however, as I have seen the same behaviour with NT4 terminal servers connecting to an AIX database server (8.1.7.2.1).

The use of DCD is worth investigating. Other Metalink documents that may be useful are 1018160.6 (Common Questions About Dead Connection Detection (DCD)) and in particular, check out bug 2167389 (THREAD LEAK WITH DCD SET CAUSES NT TO HANG) If you discover that that DCD introduces more problems than it solves, then it is trivial to disable - simple hash out the SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME parameter in the SQLNET.ORA file - no reboot required.

HTH

---
nigel.

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: nigel cemm INET: n.cemm_at_dial.pipex.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).