alter system does not work as advertised

From: Browett, Darren <dbrowett_at_coquitlam.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:24:26 -0800

Maybe somebody can enlighten me on this,

if I do a

"alter system set session_cached_cursors=100 scope=spfile"

I get the following message back

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02096: specified initialization parameter is not modifiable with this option

According to the documentation, by specifying scope=spfile, then

"The change is made in the server parameter file (SPFILE) only and will
be set on the next startup"

Going by that statement, even though the variable is not-modifiable when the instance is up, I should still
be able to change the parameter, then when I shutdown/startup the database during the night, the NEW
value should take.

If I can't modify the parameter in the spfile only, whats the point of the command ??????

Is this a bug or a feature ??

Thanks

Darren

Darren Browett P.Eng This
message was transmitted
Data Administrator using
100% recycled electrons
Information and Communication Technology City of Coquitlam
P:(604)927 - 3614
E:dbrowett_at_coquitlam.ca

Author: Browett, Darren
  INET: dbrowett_at_coquitlam.ca