Re: 9iR2, grant select on a column (without using views) using RL

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:14:32 -0800

NO!

Never move a data dictionary table out of the SYSTEM tablespace; or do any kind of operation on them. The only tables that can be operated on - particularly DELETEs and TRUNCATEs, are AUD$ and FGA_LOG$ (in 9i).

Besides, how would moving SOURCE$ table from SYSTEM tablespace help? The probelm is not a smaller tablespace size. Most of the data dictionary views are well indexed, anyway; so performance impact may be low.

Something I have monkeyed around earlier is to place my own indexes on these tables, if needed. Mind you, these are not supported by Oracle; so you are on your own if something happens. In most cases, however, that may not be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Arup

  Hi,
    Unrelated question : If the system tablespace is so big would it not hurt performance for queries to all_tables, v$session, dba_segments etc. In such a case : can tables like source$ be moved out of system tablespace and would it make sense. Thank You

  Vladimir Begun <vladimir.begun_at_oracle.com> wrote:     Tell me about it. :)

    Regards,
    --
    Vladimir Begun
    The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and     do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

    --
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net     --
    Author: Vladimir Begun
    INET: vladimir.begun_at_oracle.com

    To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-! Mail message     to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in     the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L     (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may     also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

  Do you Yahoo!?
Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com