RE: Software Owner for Oracle8 and Oracle9

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 03:54:36 -0800

>Hi all,
>
>We have currently a debate ongoing on the Unix side
>about the issue of having 1 Oracle software owner
>for both Oracle 8 and 9 versus having a new
>software owner for 9.
>
>What comments you have, w hat might be advantages
>and disadvantages using one or two users...
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Rgds
>
>Joshua

Joshua,

  For the sake of simplicity, I am in favour of a unique account. Think of the way dbstart is usually called in the scripts called when the machine reboots

     su - oracle -c "dbstart"
If you have several Oracle accounts, which one are you going to use ? Since you will have a single oratab file ... Similar problems with the listener, etc. Add to this that you may have a number of procedures you wish to be run by an oracle account rather than root, and it would be simpler if everything could fire from the same account (think of crontabs, etc). Making all files accessible with all privileges to the dba group is something I feel uncomfortable with. If your concern is not hitting the wrong database by mistake, first set the default ORACLE_SID to a non-exsitent value, and display it in the prompt ... You may end up doing fewer mistakes than working simultaneously in two windows connected to two different Unix accounts.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroult