Re: Nature of Oracle-l has changed

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:04:32 -0800

On 2003.08.23 21:04, Ryan wrote:
,
> but its still flawed and years away from being sound principle. Management
> wants sound bites. It will take this long, it will cost this much.

Well, the interviewer should normally vinow out the chaff. If he cannot evaluate the candidate's communication skills or lack of thereof, then he doesn't do her his job, for which he's usually handsomly paid, as a member of HR dept. Yet, nobody is complaining about that. I've never seen such a bunch of morons as in the HR departments and yet, nobody is complaining. I was once told that "I should have patience toward those of us whose native tongue is not English", after an altercation with a Spanish speaking person. The problem is that I'm from Croatia and that my native tongue is not English, so that a sentence like that does not ring well in my ears. The person who told me that was a proud owner of the "HR manager" title. Nobody was complaining that she's expensive.

> I think there is also a lack of business knowledge on our part. I think that
> hurts us in understanding the 'whys' and 'hows' of business.

Oh, but we do know business. I know how to recover and tune databases which are crucial for business. Does anyone want to impose that fabled "business knowledge" on truck drivers or crane operators? Hopefully, I'm not expected to be an investment banker? Why wouldn't managers learn a little bit of DBA job instead?

> Most importantly, managers are supposed to make it as quick as possible and
> as cheap as possible. Every business constantly tries to cut costs. Its the
> way of the world and we are a pretty heft cost.

Yet they would hire lawyers who are more expensive then the IT people.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala