RE: SharePlex info

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:44:26 -0800

Your bandwidth requirements will be the rate of changes to the actual data. The traffic consists of the actual data and control information needed to reassemble the transaction on the target. The source database's other redo payload (i.e., index operations, rollback segment maintenance, etc.) is not used by Shareplex.

In our environment of dual Sun 6800's, 10 CPU's each, we observe less that 1% CPU consumption on the source and target sides combined. It varies according to the DML load on the source but not by much. We've never had a problem with it consuming a noticeable amount.

I have a question on the comparison between a physical standby and Shareplex replication. Isn't 9i's logical standby feature better suited for the comparison to Shareplex? I'm assuming that you are considering offloading some processing to another host since you are looking to replicate about 50% of the tables in the source database.

HTH
Tony Aponte

Author: Aponte, Tony
  INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net