RE: question on how to retrive document

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:59:23 -0800

Tanel, if you use oracle to read BFILE's, you're no faster then by reading normal LOB's,
because the mechanism is exactly the same: DBMS_LOB.READ into a buffer and buffer sent to
you through Oracle*Net. The only way that you can be faster then that is to read the file
name from a normal VARCHAR2 variable and then bypass oracle in accessing that file, and
access it through some non-oracle mechanism,typically NFS or CIFS (Samba). Oracle database
is created for reading structured tables by means of SQL, not for reading plain files.
To read a plain file, you will use software designed exactly for that purpose. It's called
"file system".
Both NFSv3 and Samba V2 can beat oracle hands down in speed of reading/writing files to
a remote node. What Samba and NFS cannot do is to retrieve record sets from those files
using SQL. They can help you to bulk read the file into a document processor and nothing
more. if speed is all that matters, you read the file name from oracle and then read the
file by using appropriate tools like NFS, Samba or something else.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA