Re: MAXTRANS ignored

From: Manoj Kumar Jha <jmanoj_at_delhi.tcs.co.in>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:24:24 -0800

Hi,

You are right upto some extend.
Actually while you create a table with initrans 1 and maxtrans 1. It will create table and don't show any problem. And when you try to update a record of this table lying in same block it should not let the second update transaction on same block according to your specified maxtrans( i.e. 1). But acctually the minimum value of max transaction is (2). if you set this 1 during creation of table, it will not give error , but actually it should give.
If you try the 3rd update statement on record of same block it will give hang.
You can try with some higher value of maxtrans value and issued total maxtrans+1 update transaction from the nth+1 transaction will hang till other transaction not commit or update.

Thus it seems a bug of Oracle9i.

> In testing, I found that MAXTRANS seems to be ignored in 9.2.0.3.
>
> I created a table with a MAXTRANS setting of 1. I inserted some rows and
committed. In one session, I updated a row, but did not
> commit. In another session, I updated a different row (in the same block).
I expected to see a wait, but the transaction completed
> immediately. I dumped the block header and, sure enough, there were 2
entries in the ITL. There should be only 1 entry (as defined

Author: Manoj Kumar Jha
  INET: jmanoj_at_delhi.tcs.co.in