RE: Raid 1 vs Raid 5 for tablespaces

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:59:32 -0800

I agree with your point, but it's often not what I see. It's all a matter of degree.

A lot of the systems I see have 100% CPU utilization for hours on end, and upgrading is the wrong answer. If you're lucky, an upgrade will give you a 2x to 3x performance boost. Often after some SQL optimization, however, we'll reduce half the system's workload by a factor of 10,000 or more for the labor cost of maybe 1/4 of an upgrade's cost.

On one system I saw a few years ago, a variety of configuration errors (one of which was to use software striping and mirroring) actually accounted for almost 40% of the total CPU capacity on the system.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Hotsos Clinic 101 in Denver, Sydney
- Hotsos Symposium 2004, March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...