RE: PTC Windchill

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:54:22 -0800

Non OFA?!

That doesn't begin to describe how non-standard the Oracle installation is.

If you install another Oracle based app on the box, you will have to create
a new Oracle home, even if using the same Oracle version.

To allow the Oracle Home selector to work, you will need to modify the the PTC Oracle keys to look more like Oracle's standard install.

It can be done, but seems like unnecessary pain.

Jared

"Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 08/13/2003 09:49 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: PTC Windchill

I can't comment on the product itself since I've never used it. Strictly speaking from the DB end of Windchill, ignore most of what PTC says about setting up Oracle. It's a bare bones install with no tuning whatsoever. The Oracle software comes as a fixed, non-patchable, non-OFA version. The default DB setup puts all files on the same mountpoint as the software. I'm
trying to remember if archivelog mode is suported or not (yes, you heard that correctly). It may depend on if there's external vaulting or not. There's no RI in the schema. This has been my experience with most vendor product implementations on Oracle. Hopefully, I'm remebering this correctly!

This being said, I've not touched the production DB for tuning or downtime since I created it back in October. After the software was installed (which
also installs their version of Oracle and the DB) and re-installed several times prior to production, we moved the DB to a proper 6-way RAID 10 (or is
it 0+1? I forget) and some smaller mirrored stripes, splitting up data from
control from redo from archive, and all's been well WITH THE DB ever since.
I used what I consider "standard" items in the init.ora (CBO, archivelog, etc) and haven't needed to tune it. I haven't even (yet) needed to apply Tim Gorman's optimizer index parameter fixes. The only thing I've needed to
watch for is the growth of the LOBs. YMMV!

Also, our account rep has been VERY receptive in our feedback, and they are
using some of our suggestions in versions since (and for other customers). I'll give them credit for that.

One final note: Not every place is going to have a dedicated DBA. Most vendors that I've dealt with want to set things up in a simple generic fashion, probably in an effort to reduce initial problems. I think that may
be a little short-sighted in some cases, as I think performance is a major cause of support calls ("The system's slow") and can be very difficult to correctly troubleshoot and remedy remotely a year or two after implementation. Just my $.02 on that...

HTH! GL! :) Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 13 2003 - 18:54:22 CDT