RE: Raid 1 vs Raid 5 for tablespaces

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:14:23 -0800

The _only_ even theoretical advantage to software RAID-0 is that software RAID implementations tend to have more flexibility than the hardware ones. For example, there are a number of software RAID implementations that allow you to grow RAID-0 volumes, something that is generally not allowed in hardware RAID, and most of those allow you to do it online. Some of the better software RAID implementations even allow for online volume type conversion - from RAID-1 to RAID-5 when adding a third disk to a mirrored pair, as a random example.

Beyond that, there's no reason to have software RAID. Any other extraneous advantages can be gleaned by using a traditional VM on top of hardware RAID-ed devices. And even some of that stuff is better in hardware. :)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).