RE: SharePlex Summary

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:54:23 -0800

Allan

   As to your Shareplex comments, I'm in no position to support or refute your conclusions. My admittedly brief experience with replication leads me to the conclusion that there are no simple conclusions. If ever there was an area where "your mileage may vary", this is it. Replication is a simple label that is stuck to a vast array of situations. I feel it important for your organization to define what it wants to do, and then pick the technology, rather than pick the "best" technology and then attempt to adapt it to your needs. It is possible that there are situations where Shareplex will work like no other, and other situations where basic Oracle features achieve all the desired goals. In my readings, it seems like most of the replication projects that either fail or cause a lot of problems are those where the organization tries to "flip the replication switch", rather than treating it as a serious project that requires cooperation of many different areas of the organization. But then as I said at first, I'm no expert.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com