Re: SharePlex

From: Indy Johal <Indy.Johal_at_prnewswire.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:44:23 -0800

Tanel

> --> Physical Standby databse - This option is good
>  * If there is not much load on the production server and so
> the Realtime loading can be done thru Data Guard. [ This is
> possible with 9i and I am not sure with 8i]

You probaby meant Logical standby here, because physical standby suits
high-load environments well, since no additional processing has to be done
on primary db if in archivelog mode (not counting requirement for logging
operations in here).

---> I don't meant to say Logical standby here as Logical Standby databasse can never be Realtime as they work like streams in Asynchronous manner. THe only option available fo Synchronous data movement is with Oracle advance replication or Physical standby Database where it can be configured to make sure that any production databsae change can be first applied to Replica or standby database before applying on the production database

> But from Nelso Emailm the physical standby is not at all good
> option as he want to use the other server for Reporting purpose
> with all data should be very close to production server

Depending on MTTR requirements, one solution would be to just to recover
standby database few times a day, at lunchtime, for example. This may create
some inconveniences to users though.
Note that even when running Apps on shareplex-replicated-standby-database
isn't probably supported, then for Cognos it doesn't matter, it only deals
with content of tables anyway, and SP should be able to tranfer data
correctly.

 -----> I had worked on the system where Quest has done the setup for using Shareplex with Oracle Financial for demo purpose. There are few gotchas that is been taken care so as to make the CM work fine with the FND_CONC... table. I have not done very high load testing with reports but there was no ID conflict occured with few report Request submitted. As the User who requested this change is going to use Cognos, so I agree with Tanel point that there is not going to be any conflict.

> So as Nelson is on 8i and as he also cannot go for Oracle 9i
> as that require him to go for Oracle Apps to 11.5.9 or so

Wrong, 9i is certified with Apps starting from 11.5.7.

---> Yes Tanel is right that 11.5.7 onwards are oracle 9i certified and I put 11.5.9 so as to refer for highest stabel release.

Indy Johal
Manager, Database Administration
PR Newswire
indy_johal@prnewswire.com
http://www.prnewswire.com

(201) 946-5687 [W]
(201) 400-3960 [M]

"We tell your story to the world."

"Tanel Poder" <tanel.poder.003@mail.ee>
Sent by: ml-errors@fatcity.com
08/09/2003 03:09 PM PST
Please respond to ORACLE-L

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L@fatcity.com>
cc:
bcc:
Subject: Re: SharePlex

Hi!

> If the Load is not high on the Production server  and what
> I meant by load is the Transaction Load. As it Financial
> system , so it all depend on the Modules

More like on number users and their activities..

> --> Physical Standby databse - This option is good
>  * If there is not much load on the production server and so
> the Realtime loading can be done thru Data Guard. [ This is
> possible with 9i and I am not sure with 8i]

You probaby meant Logical standby here, because physical standby suits
high-load environments well, since no additional processing has to be done
on primary db if in archivelog mode (not counting requirement for logging
operations in here).

> But from Nelso Emailm the physical standby is not at all good
> option as he want to use the other server for Reporting purpose
> with all data should be very close to production server

Depending on MTTR requirements, one solution would be to just to recover
standby database few times a day, at lunchtime, for example. This may create
some inconveniences to users though.
Note that even when running Apps on shareplex-replicated-standby-database
isn't probably supported, then for Cognos it doesn't matter, it only deals
with content of tables anyway, and SP should be able to tranfer data
correctly.

> So as Nelson is on 8i and as he also cannot go for Oracle 9i
> as that require him to go for Oracle Apps to 11.5.9 or so

Wrong, 9i is certified with Apps starting from 11.5.7.

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services