Re: What books recommended for Data Modeling ?

From: <Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:24:23 -0800

Perhaps a bit late but I have just been cleaning up the email

As an alternate suggestion perhaps running Oracle under VMware with GSX Server.
You can build a single instance of the training environment and then replicate the environment to build multiple instances, A nice feature is the ability to make each instance non persistent so that at the end of training you can simply undo all the work done in the training class GSX allows you to run as many instances as your hardware can support and if they are willing to buy big hardware then a GSX license is probably going to be cheap

Cheers

Peter McLarty               E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com
APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
Brisbane,  Australia        Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
                            Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would
ever
get done."
   - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

Guang Mei <gmei_at_incyte.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
07-08-2003 02:24 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: What books recommended for Data Modeling ?

I have not heard installing hundred database instances on same server.
Maybe you should think creating one instance, and then hundred schemas in
it.

Guang

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Dilip Patel wrote:

> Hi All,
> Need some suggestions/Input.
>
> My application database is 8.1.7, NOARCHIVELOG, WIN200,
> total size 4 GB, more of single user OLTP client-server application.
>
> Now the customer wants to give training on this application to hundred
trainees
> at a time. For this he wants to install hundred database instances on
same
> server machine, which *each* will be accessed simultaneously from 100
different
> client workstations.
>
> The reasons for installing all instances on same machine are
> - to avoid re-installing databases on 100 workstations after each round
of
> training.
> - No user should see any other user's data.
>
> Please suggest if this approach is feasible or is it at all possible.
Tested this with upto 5 instances, and

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Guang Mei INET: gmei_at_incyte.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: INET: Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).