Re: 9i - Dynamic SGA - SGA_MAX_SIZE

From: <Stephen.HODGKINSON_at_eaguk.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:04:23 -0800

Oracle have changed there response when I pointed out that ask Tom indicated that different operating systems appear to perform differently

Oracle's response is below and from all your replies this would appear to be the case.

Thanks, for your help. stephen

 ***************
 Yes, on most platforms the shared memory would be pre-allocated for the  SGA. equivalent to SGFA_MAX_SIZE. Solaris with Dynamic ISM enabled is one
 exception.
 There may be others. It's not 100% obvious if this is really wasting
 resources. If the
 memory is never being referenced it may not have to be resident in
 physical
 memory (though some platforms do try to keep the SGA "pinned" in memory).

Phone:     01737 27 5564

stephen.hodgkinson_at_eaguk.com

                    Mladen Gogala
                    <mgogala_at_adelp       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    hia.net>             cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: 9i - Dynamic SGA - SGA_MAX_SIZE
                    ml-errors_at_fatc
                    ity.com

                    03/08/03 05:19
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Kirti, problem is in the malloc mechanism. The subroutine to free the memory
doesn't return it to the OS, it returns it to the "allocation pool instead. As a consequence, when oracle does "free", its address space is not going to
go down. You realize, of course, that malloc, calloc, realloc and free are the
only options, because of their portability. There are low level allocation routines like brk() to increase the address space, but unaware of any routine
to decrease the address space. Here is the manual page for the library subroutine called "mallopt", which is mostly obsolete but still exists on HP-UX. The mechanism remained the same, but the control was taken away from

the users. Manual page does illustrate the mechanism, though.

malloc(3C)                                                       malloc(3C)

  NAME
       malloc(), free(), realloc(), calloc(), mallopt(), mallinfo(),
       memorymap() - main memory allocator

  SYNOPSIS
       #include <stdlib.h>

       void *malloc(size_t size);

       void *calloc(size_t nelem, size_t elsize);

       void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size);

       void free(void *ptr);

       void memorymap(int show_stats);

  SYSTEM V SYNOPSIS
       #include <malloc.h>

       char *malloc(unsigned size);

       void free(char *ptr);

       char *realloc(char *ptr, unsigned size);

       char *calloc(unsigned nelem, unsigned elsize);

       int mallopt(int cmd, int value);

       struct mallinfo mallinfo(void);

     Remarks
       The functionality in the old malloc(3X) package has been
incorporated
       into malloc(3C).  The library (/usr/lib/libmalloc.a) corresponding
       the -lmalloc linker option is now an empty library.  Makefiles that
       reference this library will continue to work.  Applications that
used
       the malloc(3X) package should still work properly with the new
       malloc(3C) package.  If the old versions must be used, they are
       provided in files /usr/old/libmalloc3x.a and /usr/old/libmalloc3c.o
       for Release 8.07 only.

  DESCRIPTION
       The functions described in this manual entry provide a simple,
       general-purpose memory allocation package:

            malloc()       allocates space for a block of at least size
                           bytes, but does not initialize the space.

            calloc()       allocates space for an array of nelem elements,
                           each of size elsize bytes, and initializes the

  Hewlett-Packard Company            - 1 -     HP-UX Release 9.0: August
1992

  malloc(3C)
malloc(3C)

                           space to zeros.

            realloc()      changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr
                           size bytes and returns a pointer to the

(possibly
moved) block. Existing contents are unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. If ptr is a NULL pointer, realloc() behaves like malloc() for the specified size. If size is zero and ptr is not a NULL pointer, the object it points to is freed and NULL is returned. free() deallocates the space pointed to by ptr (a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc(), realloc(), or calloc()) and makes the space available for further allocation. If ptr is a NULL pointer, no action occurs. mallopt() provides for control over the allocation algorithm and other options in the malloc(3C) package. The available values for cmd are: M_MXFAST Set maxfast to value. The algorithm allocates all blocks below the size of maxfast in large groups, then doles them out very quickly. The default value for maxfast is zero

(0).
                                M_NLBLKS       Set numlblks to value.  The
                                               above mentioned ``large
                                               groups'' each contain
numlblks
                                               blocks.  numlblks must be
                                               greater than 1.  The default
                                               value for numlblks is 100.

                                M_GRAIN        Set grain to value.  The
sizes
                                               of all blocks smaller than
                                               maxfast are considered to be
                                               rounded up to the nearest
                                               multiple of grain.  grain
must
                                               be greater than zero.  The
                                               default value of grain is
the
                                               smallest number of bytes
that
                                               can accommodate alignment of
                                               any data type.  value is
                                               rounded up to a multiple of
                                               the default when grain is
set.
                                M_KEEP         Preserve data in a freed
block
                                               until the next malloc(),
                                               realloc(), or calloc().
This

  Hewlett-Packard Company - 2 - HP-UX Release 9.0: August 1992

  malloc(3C)
malloc(3C)

                                               option is provided only for
                                               compatibility with the old
                                               version of malloc() and is
not
                                               recommended.

                                M_BLOCK        Block all blockable signals
in
                                               malloc(), realloc(), calloc

(),
and free(). This option is provided for those who need to write signal handlers that allocate memory. When set, the malloc(3C) routines can be called from within signal handlers (they become re- entrant). Default action is not to block all blockable signals. M_UBLOCK Do not block all blockable signals in malloc(), realloc(), calloc(), and free(). This option cancels signal blocking initiated by the M_BLOCK option. These values are defined in the <malloc.h> header file. mallopt() can be called repeatedly, but must not be called after the first small block is allocated (unless cmd is set to M_BLOCK or M_UBLOCK). mallinfo() provides instrumentation describing space usage, but cannot be called until the first small block is allocated. It returns the structure: struct mallinfo { int arena; /* total space in arena */ int ordblks; /* number of ordinary blocks */ int smblks; /* number of small blocks */ int hblkhd; /* space in holding
block
headers */
                               int hblks;          /* number of holding
blocks
*/
                               int usmblks;        /* space in small blocks
in
use */
                               int fsmblks;        /* space in free small
blocks */
                               int uordblks;       /* space in ordinary
blocks
in use */
                               int fordblks;       /* space in free
ordinary
blocks */
                               int keepcost;       /* space penalty if keep

option is used */
                           }

                           This structure is defined in the <malloc.h>
header
                           file.

  Hewlett-Packard Company            - 3 -     HP-UX Release 9.0: August
1992

  malloc(3C)
malloc(3C)

       Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably
       aligned (after possible pointer coercion) for storage of any type of
       object.

            memorymap()    can be used to display the contents of the
memory
                           allocator.  A list of addresses and block
                           descriptions is written (using printf()) to
                           standard output.  If the value of the show_stats
                           parameter is 1, statistics concerning number of
                           blocks and sizes used will also be written.  If
                           the value is zero, only the memory map will be
                           written.

                           The addresses and sizes displayed by memorymap
may
                           not correspond to those requested by an
                           application.  The size of a block (as viewed by
                           the allocator) includes header information and
                           padding to properly align the block.  The
address
                           is also offset by a certain amount to accomodate
                           the header information.

  RETURN VALUE
       Upon successful completion, malloc(), realloc(), and calloc() return
       pointer to space suitably aligned (after possible pointer coercion)
       for storage of any type of object.  Otherwise, they return a NULL
       pointer.  If realloc() returns a NULL pointer, the memory pointed to
       by the original pointer is left intact.

       mallopt() returns zero for success and non-zero for failure.

  ERRORS
       [ENOMEM]       malloc(), realloc(), and calloc() set errno to ENOMEM
                      and return a NULL pointer when an out-of-memory
                      condition arises.

       [EINVAL]       malloc(), realloc(), and calloc() set errno to EINVAL
                      and return a NULL pointer when the memory being
managed
                      by malloc() has been detectably corrupted.

  DIAGNOSTICS
       malloc(), realloc(), and calloc() return a NULL pointer if there is
no
       available memory, or if the memory managed by malloc() has been
       detectably corrupted.  This memory may become corrupted if data is
       stored outside the bounds of a block, or if an invalid pointer (a
       pointer not generated by malloc(), realloc(), or calloc()) is passed
       as an argument to free() or realloc().

       If mallopt() is called after any allocation of a small block and cmd
       is not set to M_BLOCK or M_UBLOCK or if cmd or value is invalid,
non-
       zero is returned.  Otherwise, it returns zero.

  Hewlett-Packard Company            - 4 -     HP-UX Release 9.0: August
1992

  malloc(3C)
malloc(3C)

  WARNINGS

       malloc functions use brk() and sbrk() (see brk(2)) to increase the
       address space of a process.  Therefore, an application program that
       uses brk() or sbrk() must not use them to decrease the address
space,
       because this confuses the malloc functions.

       free() and realloc() do not check their pointer argument for
validity.

       If free() or realloc() is passed a pointer that was not the result of

       a call to malloc(), realloc(), or calloc(), or if space assigned by an

       allocation function is overrun, loss of data, a memory fault, bus
       error, or an infinite loop may occur at that time or during any
       subsequent call to malloc(), realloc(), calloc(), or free().

       The following actions are not supported and cause undesirable
effects:
            o  Attempting to free() or realloc() a pointer not generated as
               the result of a call to malloc(), realloc(), or calloc().

       The following actions are strongly discouraged and may be
unsupported
       in a future implementation of malloc(3C):

            o  Attempting to free() the same block twice.

            o  Depending on unmodified contents of a block after it has
been
               freed.

       Undocumented features of earlier memory allocators have not been
       duplicated.

  COMPATIBILITY
       The only external difference between the old malloc(3X) allocator
and
       the malloc(3C) allocator is that the old allocator would return a
NULL
       pointer for a request of zero bytes.  The malloc(3C) allocator
returns
       a valid memory address.  This is not a concern for most
applications.

       Although the current implementation of malloc(3C) allows for freeing a

       block twice and does not corrupt the contents of a block after it is
       freed (until the next call to realloc(), calloc(), or malloc()),
       support for these features may be discontinued in a future
       implementation of malloc(3C) and should not be used.

  SEE ALSO
       brk(2), errno(2).

  STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
       malloc(): AES, SVID2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4, FIPS 151-2, POSIX.1, ANSI C
       calloc(): AES, SVID2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4, FIPS 151-2, POSIX.1, ANSI C

       free(): AES, SVID2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4, FIPS 151-2, POSIX.1, ANSI C
       mallinfo(): SVID2, XPG2

  Hewlett-Packard Company            - 5 -     HP-UX Release 9.0: August
1992

  malloc(3C)
malloc(3C)

       mallopt(): SVID2, XPG2
       realloc(): AES, SVID2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4, FIPS 151-2, POSIX.1, ANSI C

  Hewlett-Packard Company            - 6 -     HP-UX Release 9.0: August
1992

On 2003.08.01 14:19, Kirtikumar Deshpande wrote: > It does not work as advertised, in AIX either... I played with this in AIX

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net