RE: Tablespace management.

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:39:45 -0800

Steve,

        I'm not sure I'd call all of the functionality that has been added over the years worth it. Way too many of them have caused more trouble than their worth, like descending indexes. And given the drivel that I've seen from many a third party vendor in the past (PeopleSoft and their damned 16K extents) this can certainly get turned into another nightmare. As far as fragmentation is concerned, I've NOT had to do any in the last few years, mainly due to spending a lot of time & effort to get computing storage needs into an exact science around here. That has been due to disk storage space not being an invisible cost item, but instead a significant one that we're constantly battling with. Sure they've become cheaper, but when our buying GB's of the stuff, mirrored, from a reliable vendor those half MB's wasted begin to add up FAST. Therefore I still contend that everything inside a single tablespace does not need a uniform extent size. If "one size fits all" was absolutel! y !
true there would be a lot less problems in this world.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: Steve Rospo