RE: SAP Hands SAP DB over to MySQL

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:05:08 -0800

The incentive? $$$, and lots of it.

Larry E talked folks into trusting Oracle at it's inception, and I'll bet it
was quite a bit less robust then than MySQL is now.

Give MySQL a couple years and see what happens.

It may never be appropriate for certain apps, but for small to medium plain vanilla RDBMS, it may be a good fit.

Jared

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 05/29/2003 07:49 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: SAP Hands SAP DB over to MySQL

Okay, I've got a question for you people knowledgeable in SAP. Who would trust their financial and payroll data to MySQL? I'm not saying this to knock MySQL. It is just that your financial and payroll data is among your most valuable data in the corporation. Only recently was a transaction capability added to MySQL, and that was more of an "add-on". I manage several databases and my company even makes modest use of MySQL. But of those databases, the financial and payroll data would be the LAST database I
would convert to something like MySQL. I'm just curious what is the big incentive in MySQL is.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com