Re: Function Based Index - Not Used ???

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 05:30:02 -0800

JP,

In the EXPLAIN PLAN, it says "Card=262146", indicating that the query expects to retrieve over a quarter-million rows. Is that in fact correct?

If so, the CBO is making the correct decision to perform a FULL table scan. What was the comparison of elapsed times between the two plans, the one being the FULL table scan and the other being the indexed scan? I bet the FULL table scan query finished much more quickly...

You've got everything configured correctly -- simply a lousy index. The CBO has to be coerced into using the index because it is not the best plan to use.

Hope this helps...

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com