ora-00020 : Max number of processes exceeded.

From: Nuala Cullen <ncullen_at_catlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 03:44:37 -0800

Hi All,

We had an ORA-00020 error this morning - where the users could not log into the system.
As a quick fix I shutdown the database and reset the processes = 300 in the init.ora and restarted the database.

After reading through the archive though I have a few questions

  1. Is the number of processes = the number of sessions? Or are the process children of the sessions?
  2. If the status of a session in the v$session is = INACTIVE are they still seen as an active process?
  3. One of the fixes recommend in the archives was to set the sqlnet.expire_time = 30 but the email also said that this did not work. Does it work?

We're running 8.1.7.4 on Windows2000 and there are about 60 users on the system.

Thanks,

N.

Nuala Cullen
Catlogic
30 Park Gate
Milton Park
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
OX14 4SH
Phone:         +44 (0) 1235 838151
Fax:            +44 (0) 1235 838160

Direct Line: +44 (0) 1235 838147

This warning is inserted into all messages containing binary attachments which have been removed by ListGuru. If you have questions about this message, contact Postmaster_at_fatcity.com for clarification.

------=_NextPart_000_005A_01C32445.5DF24E10--

Author: Nuala Cullen
  INET: ncullen_at_catlogic.com