Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Mailing Lists -> Oracle-L -> Re: Anything new from IOUG? + "OWI" Born!! (Anjo/Mogens, please n

Re: Anything new from IOUG? + "OWI" Born!! (Anjo/Mogens, please n

From: Mogens Nørgaard <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:01:46 -0800
Message-ID: <>

Today Martin Berg (an ex-Premium Services guy, who's now in Oracle Consulting, and who invented the absolutely brilliant concept of throw-away of rows) and I had a looong meeting where we came up with the YODA concept.

It stands for Yapp Overview Diagnostics Analysis. Not pretty, perhaps, but Martin and I can remember it.

Here's the deal (and it's of course inspired by Cary, who's a reasonably smart guy for a Texan):

R = S + W (roughtly, thanks to Erland and Kolk)

This can be measured on three levels:

  1. System level. Data taken from v$system_event & v$sysstat.
  2. Job/session level. Data taken from v$session_event, v$sesstat - and/or 10046.
  3. SQL level. Data taken from 10046.

So 1 = O, 2 = D and 3 = A.

You can perhaps say something in general - get an overview - using 1 (system level). But basically bstat/estat, statspack, MirMon and all that are useless for most practical purposes. So O = Overview.

You can certainly find out who's doing what and for how long using 2 (session/job level). So D = Diagnostics.

And you can find out what's wrong using 3. So A = Analysis.

We called it YAPP/ODA. Jonathan Lewis, who's been drinking my whisky for the last three days here in Maaloev, suggested YODA instead. Very good.

We also came up with some (I think) new stuff about batchjobs (or OLBP - OnLine Batch Processing), and how to monitor and control them, but I'll let you know when we're done with the whitepaper we decided on the spot to write.



Johnson, Michael wrote:

>Well said .... It appears working with users that are experiencing
>significant waiting and resolving those have a better ROI than any other
>-----Original Message-----
>Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 3:53 AM
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
>There is one ratio that is a far better indicator than any of that fancy
>wait analysis stuff - the USR (User Satisfaction Ratio). I usually consider
>the system to be optimal if the USR is near 97% (the other 3% are chronic
>whiners anyway). Of course, this does not apply if the CEO is in that 3%.
>Any CEO waits are considered unacceptable.
>Don Granaman
>----- Original Message -----
>To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <>
>Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 3:33 AM
>>I would also like to point out that not all 'hit ratios'
>>are bad. The FAN hit ratio is a very useful indicator.
>>(see in the short
>>term for further details).
>>Jonathan Lewis
>>Author of:
>>Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
>>Next Seminar - Australia - July/August
>>Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in
the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Received on Fri May 23 2003 - 17:01:46 CDT

Original text of this message