RE: SORT_AREA_SIZE parameter

From: Steve Rospo <srospo_at_watchmark.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:52:31 -0800

My guess...

10M is enough to completely exhaust the virtual memory on the box. 2M is enough to completely exhaust the *physical* memory on the box. The key process is slowing down due to extreme paging I/O. Take a look at "top" or similar utility and see if there's a huge disparity between the total process size and the resident size or use iostat to look for heavy I/O to the swap partitions. There's also vmstat but which statistic to use varies by OS, OS version, and who wrote the last white paper you read.

If it is a paging/memory problem, here's my quick & dirty suggestions:

As for the ORA-03232, check out 75183.1 and 125271.1 on Metalink. The HASH_AREA_SIZE (which is derived from SORT_AREA_SIZE) needs to "fit" the TEMP extent size.

S-

Author: Steve Rospo
  INET: srospo_at_watchmark.com