Re: Confusion why online redo logs should never be backed up.

From: Binley Lim <Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:53:18 -0800

Argument? What argument?

Online redologs backups are meaningless by definition. They will be out-of-date as soon as something changes within the DB. You "backup" the redologs by mirroring.

Backup them up is not a problem apart from wasting a bit of tape space. Accidentally restoring backup redologs on top of current redologs is the real danger where you will loose information in the current, or any non-current un-archived redologs.

Author: Binley Lim
  INET: Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz