RE: Sizing - RAC, storage subsystem EMC

From: Michael Boligan <michael.boligan.b_at_bayer.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:27:10 -0800

Yes, RAID 5 would be ugly. Doesn't EMC use RAID-s though, which stores a copy of the parity on all drives. It was a while ago that I used EMC, so things may have changed, or more likely, my memory is warped....

Can anyone confirm this (no, not that my memory is warped, that has been confirmed plenty of times).

Mike Boligan

                      "Cary Millsap"
                      <cary.millsap_at_hot        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      sos.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: Sizing - RAC, storage subsystem EMC
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      05/22/2003 12:42
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Oh man, ?One parity disk for 10?20 disks means that if *any* single disk in the group fails (which will happen five times more frequently in a 20-drive group than in a 4-drive group), then for the duration of the partial outage every single read from the failed disk is going to engage all 10?20 disks in the group. And the resynchronization of the new disk, once it's plugged in, is going to require the *full disk scan of all 10?20 devices*. I wouldn't want to be anywhere nearby when *that* happened.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- Hotsos Clinic 101 in Reykjavik, Ottawa, Dallas, Washington, Denver, Sydney

Depends on how much cache you got and how many DB servers is the SAN serving. Once your cache
is saturated by reads and writes, RAID 5 is going to hurt you.

Author: Michael Boligan
  INET: michael.boligan.b_at_bayer.com