RE: RMAN/Veritas guru request

From: Ron Yount <ronwy_at_swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:17:02 -0800

Joe,

We initially used this approach by making the change as suggested and halting backups at the time of the restore on the alternate host. The bottom line though, is unless your source database cannot be shutdown for a good old OS copy for purposes of database cloning, this is a much simpler solution than the rman duplicate approach.

We use standard cloning and then the new dbid utility in 9i or a procedure in 8i dbms??? (I can get this for you if you need it) to alter the dbid of the new database. (I have a document on this process if you would like it)

Of course cloning approaches are of no use if the new (auxiliary) database needs to be a copy of the original database at a previous PIT.

Regards,
-Ron-

ronwy_at_swbell.net (home)
ryount_at_erac.com (work)

Author: Joseph S Testa
  INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

Author: Ron Yount
  INET: ronwy_at_swbell.net

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 22:17:02 CDT