RE: Performance/Design Advice or DBA vs. Developer

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:31:43 -0800

Why does he need 2 columns?
He can very well use just one column ;) for everything. Then the logic would be : stuff not starting with a / is a host name....

> dbserver1 / /etc /oracle /scripts /any/other/long/directory/name

Doesn't '/' cover all the directories beneath it? Why spell them out again?

An external table for this stuff would be my choice. They can write it up as they wished and maintain. A simple printout becomes the 'report'. No need of a real database table.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com