RE: Materialized View Setup Strategy

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:38:11 -0800

Eric - I think you're going at it from the wrong direction. Start with which queries perform badly and then see if you can create a MV to speed them up. If the query does a SUM, then try to create a MV that will incorporate that. If you're really stuck, start by creating a MV that IS the query. Just take the query and slap it into a CREATE statement. If Oracle can't create a MV, it will tell you in its own polite way. So you mess with it a little until you figure out what you have to do to create a MV that your query can use. With a little practice, you'll see how it works and start seeing commonality in your queries so you can create a MV that will help several queries. Don't forget you can create an index on a MV.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue May 20 2003 - 12:38:11 CDT