RE: Performance/Design Advice or DBA vs. Developer

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:32:44 -0800

David

    My thoughts are:

  1. If he doesn't want to use a database, why make him use one. Maybe he should just create a file somewhere on the server. That way nobody will blame you.
  2. He has a very shallow understanding of performance.
  3. I'd like him to take a look at one of our systems that has a string like this at the heart of one of the main tables. The developers couldn't be bothered to do it "right", so we're stuck with a crippled design because so much has been built around this mistake that the only feasible way to fix it would be to rewrite the entire system.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com