RE: 100% CPU

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:36:35 -0800

Cary,

That's a very good addition to the analogy. Of course I guess it depends on whether we are talking about a house (server) with multiple water supplies (cpu's) or not. And of course we aren't talking about running at 100% 24x7... Just when the bath needs to be filled.

                      "Cary Millsap"
                      <cary.millsap_at_hot        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      sos.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: 100% CPU
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      20/05/2003 15:41
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

I agree with your water analogy, but an interesting point to consider is a potential benefit of filling the tub slowly. Imagine that one of your requirements is to have a reserve of water on supply so that you could quickly fill a gallon jug on demand without causing the person waiting on the bathtub to perceive that any water had been diverted from filling the tub...

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- Hotsos Clinic 101 in Reykjavik, Ottawa, Dallas, Washington, Denver, Sydney
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban City Link Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Mark Richard INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Cary Millsap INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban City Link Ltd shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Mark Richard INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).