Re: 100% CPU

From: Binley Lim <Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 20:51:48 -0800

Not so clearcut. CPU 100% frequently is not good. Not going over 30% on average is bad.

If running at high CPU% and things run quickly and your users are happy, good. But if running at low CPU% , and users complain things run like a dog, bad.

Bottom line is - is your CPU doing useful work?

An example of expensive CPU (but not necessarily useful) work is NAS environments where extensive CPU is gobbled up to assemble/disassemble packets to/from the NFS server. If you manage to optimise this throughput to the NAS server, you can get very high CPU utilisation, and as well as very high throughtputs. High is good.

Over time, different hardware configurations will present different issues. So it depends....

Author: Binley Lim
  INET: Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz