Re: fixing tablespace fragmentation

From: Ed Lewis <eglewis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 06:31:54 -0800

Not always true. I've setup a database
for a COTS application, using LMT's
and have experienced fragmentation.
I'm not positive what caused the problem but I think it may be a few things.

All the tables were set up with
pctused = 95, and pctfree =5 by the vendor. A few of these tables had chained rows.
These same tables had around 12 numeric
columns. So, I figured as the tables
(which were initially empty) became populated with data, and with the small "pctfree" chaining occurred.
I adjusted these parameters on the
trouble tables, and rebuilt them
and that seemed to help.

                    ed