Re: Slightly off subject - UniData DB

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 08:07:12 -0800

KENNETH JANUSZ wrote:

> Does, or has, anyone worked with IBM's UniData DB? Positives and
> negatives? Where is this product going? Any comments whatsoever.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Janusz, CPIM

I've worked with a number of the pre-IBM variants of this database family. Most of these systems were ports from the PICK OS, where the unidata ancestry originates. IBM picked up Unidata when they acquired Informix. Informix bought out (or merged with) Ardent, the company that sold the Unidata database and associated tools, back in 1999/2000. My understanding is that Informix's main interest in Ardent was their data mining technology and much of the Unidata technology was never of great interest to them. There are still a fair number of customers in the educational market where a family of college administrative systems used this database and, from what I see, IBM is committed to providing long-term support to those customers. I wouldn't commit to developing an application using this database or commit to a job supporting one if you care about future prospects since I'd bet that the Unidata market is shrinking more or less slowly these days though I'm sure there is a niche or two where it is still popular.

Glenn Stauffer

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu