Re: Sqlldr via webase tool

From: Glenn Stauffer <wabisabi_at_ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 04:31:38 -0800

Nguyen, David M wrote:

>I have used CGI along with DBI/DBD to communicate with database. My
>question here is how I configure web server to avoid being timeout. For
>example, when someone presses a submit button from web browser to begin
>then return results to the user let him know whether loading is
>completed or not completed. What I want is the browser should not be
>timeout while user waiting for results.

If you want to keep the user "logged in" because you are depending on communication via the browser to inform them of the successful completion of the job, you need to provide some kind of status indicator like a % completion graphic or number. Browsers don't work for long waits not so much because of time-outs, but because people do not use the media that way and long waits make things appear broken. The job progress must be indicated in some way to keep their attention.

When we have operations like tape loads or long running processes that are started via the web, we provide the user with a job number and other relevant information, then either use email confirmation of the job completion or provide a web page where they can check on the status of the job, confirm its completion, and access any related logs.

Glenn Stauffer

Author: Glenn Stauffer
  INET: wabisabi_at_ptd.net