Re: Standby/Replicated database for reporting functionality

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 18:26:39 -0800

Mark,

I searched in vain for the information on whether or not Adv Repl is in Standard Edition. We have all Enterprise Editions, so we had it; but you want to search more in Oracle website or inquire with your (friendly?) neighorhood Oracle Sales Rep to ascertain that.

I will address the responses of Ade in this mail too. The usage of MVs in reporting instance will make the process simpler, but in your case, you mentioned the app creates the tables on the fly. Using a snapshot replication environment will not be possible in that case. The trick is to use MM replication and use the dbms_repcat to create these tables in separate nodes automatically via a DDL trigger on the database. The only thing you have to be aware of is the need to quiesce the master, i.e. to stop all transactions for a brief time when the operation is performed on the master table. Use the script provided by Ade, except change copy_rows=>FALSE to copy_rows=>TRUE and eliminate the offline instantiation part; it's not necessary and not possible in your case.

> In relation to our DDL issue with replication i.e. creating database
objects
> via the overlying application, could we simply create the objects in
> question manually in the reporting node or does the DBMS_REPCAT package
need

I was under the impression that the table creation process was controlled by the app and you had no control over it. No, you do NOT have to create the objects on the reporting node manually; dbms_repcat will do that automatically, and that is why you would automate that ussing DDL trigger. However, if you can use a manual approach for creating tables, you could use snapshot replication. The steps involved are a bit complicated, but they can be proceduralized.

HTH. Arup Nanda
www.proligence.com

> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm pretty sure advanced replication is not supported by the standard
> edition. However if you are just doing reporting I'd say adv. rep. is
> overkill. Have you looked into the use of snapshots ?
>
> Regarding the DDL question, you can create objects manually and then
> integrate them into the replication framework, see below...
>
> execute

dbms_repcat.create_master_repobject(gname=>'REP_GROUP',type=>'TABLE',oname=>

'YOUR_TABLE',sname=>'YOUR_SCHEMA',copy_rows=>FALSE,use_existing_object=>TRUE
> );
>
> Then do offline instantiation (see Metalink for this, looks more complex
> than it really is). Or you can use execute
> dbms_repcat.create_master_repobject to create the target objects for you
and
> shift the data across, however you have to do this during out of hours
> otherwise your source/target will get out of sync due to DML changes.
>
> Ade

Since
> you use only one node for production changes you will not need
sophisticated
> conflict resolution routines.
>
> The best option is of course, 9i logical standby database; but I see that
> you don't have 9i, yet. In the same boat as I am in, for some of my canned
> applications here.
>
> HTH.
>
> Arup Nanda
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > many thanks for your comments, tips and pointers.
> > Logical standby databases in 9i sound ideal (if stable) but we do not
> intend
> > to upgrade to 9i for some time. Creating a standby via RMAN is totally
new
> > to me a sounds interesting too, guess this is a 9i feature? Will look
> > further into this also.
> >
> > Thanks all again.
> > Mark.

which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
> Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail may not represent those
of the company. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer.

==

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com