Re: Standby/Replicated database for reporting functionality

From: Patterson, Mark <Mark.Patterson_at_organon.ie>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 04:41:41 -0800

Thank you Arup for your information. No decision made yet.

You mentioned that using multi-master replication you can use different Oracle versions on the "reporting" node. Does this include Editions too i.e. Enterprise Edition versus Standard Edition? Using the Standard Edition will obviously reduce our licensing costs considerably but this is not an option if we use a Standby Database as Standby Databases are not supported by the Standard Edition.

In relation to our DDL issue with replication i.e. creating database objects via the overlying application, could we simply create the objects in question manually in the reporting node or does the DBMS_REPCAT package need to be used to notify the replication layer that all DML on this table in the primary node must be replicated. As tables are created through a controlled process this would simply be an additional step to the process and should be easy to manage.

Looking forward to your reply!

By the way, the overlying application we're using is JDEdwards OneWorld. Does anybody know if this can be integrated with Oracle's DBMS_REPCAT package when generating DDL and creating tables/indexes etc.

Thanks,
Mark.

Author: Patterson, Mark
  INET: Mark.Patterson_at_organon.ie