insert /*+APPEND*/ Unexpected result (more redo log)

From: <Saminathan_Seerangan_at_i2.com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 05:51:58 -0800

Hi All,

I'm getting UNEXPECTED result in both 8i and 9iR2.

Could someone please tell me why insert /*+APPEND*/ generates more redo log.

I'm pretty sure that there is NO index involved in my test table(redolog_test).
Also the user is not a SYS and SYSTEM.
The DB is running in ARCHIVE LOG mode.

SQL> show user
USER is "MUT"

SQL> drop table redolog_test;
Table dropped.

SQL> create table redolog_test pctfree 99 pctused 1 as select * from all_objects
where 1=2;
Table created.

SQL> insert into redolog_test select * from all_objects; 19412 rows created.

Statistics

       2003  recursive calls
      89992  db block gets
     161720  consistent gets
          0  physical reads
   10661144  redo size  <========
        438  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        433  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          4  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          2  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)
      19412  rows processed

SQL> truncate table redolog_test;
Table truncated.

SQL> insert /*+APPEND*/ into redolog_test select * from all_objects; 19412 rows created.

Statistics

       2012  recursive calls
        365  db block gets
     142229  consistent gets
          0  physical reads
  159534376  redo size  <=======(15 Times higher)
        430  bytes sent via SQL*Net to client
        445  bytes received via SQL*Net from client
          4  SQL*Net roundtrips to/from client
          2  sorts (memory)
          0  sorts (disk)
      19412  rows processed

SQL> What could be wrong?

  INET: Saminathan_Seerangan_at_i2.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue May 06 2003 - 08:51:58 CDT